Before you act, listen. Before you react, think. Before you criticize, wait. Before you pray, forgive. Before you quit, try. ----- Ernest Hemingway

Fall Planting and Scarecrows

>



Welcome. I am so glad that you stopped by. Are you as ready for fall as I am? My summer garden is beginning to fade and I am anxious to plant fall colors and get out my scarecrows. I found a great buy on mums at Target - just $1.25 per pot in lovely Autumn colors. Take a little break and let's look around for inspiration for a fall Welcome garden sign we can paint together.



Looks like Bentley, my studio assistant, has already started looking for inspiration. I love to plant seasonal flowers in pots for an "instant" change from Summer to Fall.

Finding Inspiration . . . . .




Here . . . .
There . . . .
Everywhere . . . .
I bought these adorable scarecrows at CVS Pharmacy (formerly RiteAid). They were $10.00 marked down to 50% off. At $5.00 each even a thrifty shopper like me could splurge.

Looks like Bentley found our inspiration!

Let's get started. I paint my outdoor signs on canvas, however, they can be painted on anything - old barn wood - wood placks can be purchased from Michael's and are great to paint on.


First I sketched a scarecrow on canvas. I thought it would be fun to add black crows for a touch of fall. You are welcome to copy my drawing. First sketch the word WELCOME - that way you will know how much room you have for your drawing. I like to use an 8X10 canvas - you can paint your sign any size.




I decided to paint a blue sky and put my scarecrows in a pumpkin patch with sunflowers growing around him. Since I have blue accents in my little garden, I wanted the sign to pick up the blues.

Next paint straw hair and hands and add sunflowers or whatever you want to surround your scarecrow. I painted black crows since they are easy birds for beginners. Your painting will last longer outside if you use a few coats of satin varnish on your finished painting (make sure your use a type that does not yellow).



Here is the completed sign hanging on a little picket fence just waiting to WELCOME guests.




I am so glad that you stopped by my bog. Your comments mean so much to me and I sincerely apprecite that you have taken time to visit , leave me a comment and to follow my blog. If you have any questions or would like to see my paint something special, please leave me a comment or send me an e-mail.

Have a lovely week. Blessings, Erin

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...